Kwale County, Lungalunga Sub County, Pongwe Kikoneni Ward, Shimoni Secondary School,
Project proposed under the ECOPRO Environmental Early Warning and Early Response theme of Environmental concerns and natural disasters management (floods, landslides, deforestation etc)
Specific Problem/ Need -Waste management and food insecurity in Shimoni area
Early warning signs and indicators – Unmanaged waste within the school and lack of fresh vegetables and fruits
Rapid Response Proposals –
- Collection of waste materials and using them to prepare kitchen garden.
- Recovering and reusing all sorts of waste materials within the school making them potential assets in producing food like fresh vegetables and fruits.
Waste Case Scenario –
The empty containers, old iron sheets and unused fish pond can cause injuries and be a breeding zone for vectors such as mosquitos, thus increasing malaria infection to the boarding students , teachers and non-teaching staff.
Most Efficient and Effective Interventions
- Reclaim the unused fish pond into kitchen garden land
- Collect the waste materials such as food containers, old iron sheets, sacks, plastic containers and use them to grow vegetables in the kitchen garden
Partnerships and Collaborations –
- The school administration
- Base titanium
- Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI)
- Approved vegetable and fruits seeds which can do well within the region
- Working tools such wheelbarrow, hosepipes,
- Chain link for fencing
- Resources available.
- Fencing polls
- Water for irrigation
Implementation level of the proposed solution
The project is at initial phase and we would wish to expand in July, 2021. We would like to raise 200,000 Ksh in two years.
Chair – Swaleh Mwamunga – 0714424030 – 27695318